mercoledì 5 marzo 2008

LET'S SKYPE NOW!

Hello everybody!


Today I had my first experience with Skype and it was just AMAZING!!! I know it may sound weird but I had never used skype before so the whole thing was completely new for me! (You have to consider that the now old-fashioned chats are still impressive new tools for me…ah ahahha;-))


I would say that it was a bit awkward at first…I was a bit nervous at the idea of having a phone call via Internet, so I arrived at the lab 20 minutes earlier in order to get prepared to do that (just to see if the pc worked, if the head cuffs were ok and so on and so forth) and when the American peer called me I just got stuck…I said to myself: “Ok, Alessia, now you have to talk…via Internet...no panic, no babbling”. Then I just felt at ease and started talking and it was really awesome…I was communicating in real time with a person who lives far across the Ocean…WOW!


As planned, we discussed about the organization of our educational systems and about some of the two questionnaires’ results. Yet, I liked the way our conversation went on: it didn’t seem as if it followed a precise plan, it went just on spontaneously on both sides and without any embarrassing break. It was really satisfying to see that the American students are really excited about getting to know us and of course we feel the same way ! We didn’t talk in Italian all the time because we knew that they have been studying it only for two years but I really appreciated their efforts!


What struck me most was the fact that our American peers didn’t have any notion of the concept of ‘meritocrazia’. Moreover, we arrived to the conclusion that generally our expectations about a foreign country do not correspond to the reality because we tend to sort of idealize it relying on what we see in movies or on TV…


I’m really looking forward to the next skype exchange in order to deepen these topics a bit more…it was really a wonderful and fruitful experience!
Well…that’s all for now folks!




Bye bye

Nessun commento: