lunedì 12 novembre 2007

SOCIAL BOOKMARKING (e-tivity 5)...

Hello dear Group K!

Last Wednesday, I eventually managed to attend the lab session and therefore I had the chance to throw myself into the world of social bookmarking! Well, I have to say that the seemingly abstract and vague concept of SHARING seems to be at its utmost expression there! Really!

Online communities are all about sharing things, resources, ideas, files and Del.icio.us is really one of the greatest examples of all that!
It enables users to have access not only to their own “Preferiti” but also to those of all the members of this huge community. So, instead of desperately browsing the net in search of useful websites that are, in most cases, hidden among hundreds of less helpful ones, you simply have access to a selection of the best resources by using tags. In other words, it’s like having a filter that restricts your choices!

I usually loose myself in the World Wide Web and therefore I find Del.icio.us an awesome tool!!!! I will absolutely use it in order to retrieve and organise materials for my final dissertation!
I’ve organised My Favourites both on the basis of what I already had in the “Preferiti” of my PC and of what I’ve found in the Web! As far as ESL is concerned, I decided to focus mainly on three areas:

Reading


Listening


Vocabulary

…since, to me, learning a second language is all about improving your vocabulary (of course grammar is important too BUT if you know all the grammar in the world and only, say, 100 words, where on earth can you go?!) :-)

I’ve also enjoyed browsing my peers' favourites and, as far as I could see, they tried to concentrate on all the four skills (writing, reading, speaking, listening).
Nevertheless, there’s all their personality there because their choices also revealed their interests.

Nina, for instance, cited a very interesting site devoted to multicultural education because she’s probably interested in such matters (and so am I). Another example is Eleonora, who included a site devoted to business English because she would like to work in a company.
Chiara, suggested a very well-organised website devoted to English grammar tips and provided with exercises plus answers. I found it a very useful resource ‘cause it focused on those particular areas which usually cause problems to non-natives speakers of English! Given its clarity, I think I’ll use it to retrieve materials for the private lessons I give to two High School students in my village (and of course they are useful for me too! :-))
I also liked the websites suggested by Enrico, especially the one devoted to writing skills! Even though we had an entire course on such matters last year (Dott. Scott), formal writing is always a challenging experience (unfortunately…).
Caroline mentioned an interesting website devoted to idiomatic expressions used in American English …they’re always useful to enrich our English knowledge and to better appreciate movies or books!
And last, but not least, we have Anna: one of her “favourites” introduced us to ESL PODCASTS or, better, Internet audio files that enable us to improve our English knowledge! I enjoyed listening to the file about the American custom of tipping in restaurants and the related pieces of advice in order to avoid cultural misunderstandings…!

So thank you guys and see you in class!
Sorry for being so long-winded (almost on the edge of logorrhoea) but there were so many things to say…sorry!:-)


Alessia

Nessun commento: